Thursday 13 October 2016

Might I Have a Bit of Earth?




"Might I," quavered Mary, "might I have a bit of earth?"
In her eagerness she did not realise how queer the words would sound and that they were not the ones that she had meant to say.  Mr Craven looked quite startled.
"Earth!" he repeated.  "What do you mean?"
"To plant seeds in - to make things grow - to see them come alive."

The Secret Garden
by Frances Hodgson Burnett


As a child I read this book many times.  The Secret Garden always invoked feelings of magic and mystery, of old dead things coming back to life and of birds and woodland creatures.  This is the kind of garden I have always dreamed of having.  The garden that has lived in my imagination, hiding, waiting, patiently for it's chance to become more than just a dream.  

Living in a small flat as we do.  We do not have a garden.  Not any kind of garden at all... and this is something I have longed for, for many years.  Particularly now that I have my own child who would also like to make things grow and see them come alive...

So.... today we got an allotment!



I cannot tell you how excited I am, little T too.  All week he has been asking me "When are we getting the allotment mummy?"
It is obviously going to need a lot of work.  I have little to no gardening experience so this is definitely going to be one hell of a challenge. 

It has a small shed in desperate need of attention.  Half of it blew away in last weeks gales...


 and its full of rubbish;


but it does have a lovely little cherry tree that someone must have planted fairly recently.


So finally, at long last I have my little bit of earth.

Have a great day
Catherine
x

For daily posts please follow me over on my Facebook page.



3 comments:

  1. That's fantastic, I'm really happy for you. An allotment is a magical place, hopefully yours will have a good community spirit too. I know it's daunting to start with - I had sleepless nights when I first got mine - but just doing a little as and when you can will be enough. Good luck with your own little bit of earth! CJ xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks CJ, everyone I have met so far has been really friendly. Can't wait to get stuck in.

      Delete
  2. I'm so pleased for you - there is nothing like gardening, I'm sure you and your son will love the joint adventure. I loved the book the Secret Garden also, I want to re-read it.

    ReplyDelete